Friday, January 2, 2009

My Word

There is a word that has been bouncing around in my head that I so badly want to focus a blog on, but I’m just having a hard time making it visible on the computer. I’m not really sure as to why I want to use this word so badly. I’ve been trying for weeks to get it right. My vision and understanding became a little clearer while reading my friends blog http://queenlauraofcastle.blogspot.com/2009/01/my-2009-goalsresolutions.html. (I’ll give you a moment to read her blog)

After reading Laura’s blog, I went straight to her source of inspiration http://aliedwards.typepad.com/_a_/2008/12/one-little-wo-1.html. (Again, go and read the link so you have a better understanding of what I’m trying to do here. If you already went to this link while visiting Laura’s blog, please feel free to re-read Ali’s words or just keep reading mine).

While reading about how one little word can be a powerful thing, I realized that is exactly how I can use this word of mine. This is the single word that I feel sums up what I want for myself in 2009. This is my word: (I’ll give the definition because that seems to be the thing to do)

Wassail (wŏs'əl, wŏ-sāl') n. 1) A salutation or toast given in drinking someone's health or as an expression of goodwill at a festivity. 2) The drink used in such toasting, commonly ale or wine spiced with roasted apples and sugar. 3) A festivity characterized by much drinking.
v., -sailed, -sail·ing, -sails.
v.tr. To drink to the health of; toast.
v.intr. To engage in or drink a wassail.
[Middle English, contraction of wæshæil, be healthy, from Old Norse ves heill : ves, imperative sing. of vera, to be + heill, healthy.]

Wassail? How is this word going to allow me to achieve what I want this year. Does this mean that I am going to spend my year under the influence of this spiced spirit? Does it mean that I’m only going to use Basic Grey’s Wassail line this year? Neither is true—but it might be fun to try, anyone care to join me?

Every year I make a resolution to lose weight. And it seems that every year I end up falling short. Something always happens and I either give up or give in or don’t give a flying fig about it anymore.

My growing wisdom has led me to believe that I am looking at this the wrong way. I do not want to lose weight. I want to gain health. I want to have a life that is fuller and richer than I could ever imagine. I want to celebrate this festivity to the fullest and drink up all it has to offer. I want to become intoxicated by the grand as well as the minute. I want to taste the sweetness of the apples and experience variety, which is the spice of our existence. I want to deliver goodwill to others and hope they partake in a huge mug of wassail along with me.

So with that, I proposes a toast onto to those I know and those I have yet to meet. I raise my cup and simply say “Wassail.”

No comments: